In his pro bono function of ‘Ambassador In Residence’ – the first such appointment at a Swiss Uni – Dr.Woker contributes to further the international reputation and network of the Executive School. His area of expertise is the nexus of the public and private sectors where he will contribute both in creating new courses and participate in their teaching.
Dr.Woker served as Swiss Ambassador to Singapore (and Brunei) from 2002 to 2008, followed by four years as Ambassador to Australia (and the Melanesian Island states). He took an early retirement from the Swiss Ministry of Foreign Affairs in March of 2012 and now works as a Senior Lecturer at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, and as an independent columnist in Swiss (i.a. Journal21.ch) and international (i.a. lowyinterpreter.org, the blog of the Lowy Institute , Sydney) media.
Prior to Singapore, Dr. Woker was Ambassador to Kuwait (and Bahrain and Qatar) from 1998 – 2002. Prior to that he was first and founding Director of the Geneva Centre for Security Policy, and held different posts within the Swiss MFA, such as DCM at the Embassy in Paris, Deputy Director in the European Directorate at the Ministry and at the Mission to the U.N. in New York.
After studies in law and international relations in Switzerland and the U.S., Dr. Woker obtained a PhD in International Law at the University of Zurich. He is married to the former Myriam Thürler who was with the Swiss MFA and now works since 25 years as an independent English language theatre producer. They have two adult children.
▪ June 2013: Featured guest speaker at the two 2013 Graduation Days (English and French Sections) of EHL, the Lausanne Hotel School.
▪ September 2013: One of the four featured guest speakers at the Kick-off Days (Commencement) for the PhD- and Master- Students at the University of St. Gallen. The presentation was rated 5.5 points by the attendees, out of a max. of 6.
▪ April 2014: Case Competition Judge at ‘Business Games St. Gallen’, held in association with Solvay (Business School) Business Games.
▪ 2013 to present: Regular appearances, in print and live, through the HSG-Media Office in German language media (SRG, Tages Anzeiger etc.) and , through Grayling Communications, London in English speaking media.
▪ 2012 – present: Regular comment in the Blog (lowyinterpreter.org) of the Lowy Institute of International Relations, Sydney; ’The Lowy’ is internationally recognized as the leading foreign affairs think tank of the Southern Hemisphere.
▪ 2013 –present: Regular comments on Swiss Foreign Policy and the Asia Pacific in Journal21.ch, the leading Swiss online- only daily newspaper.
▪ Late 2014: ‘Singapore – In Search of the Body and the Soul’, in: The Little Red Dot, Vol. III, The Diplomatic History of Singapore, NUS Singapore.
▪ November 2014: ‘Learning about the growing nexus between the public and the private sectors’, in: G20/B20 Edition of the Diplomatic Courier, Washington DC, published on occasion of the G-20 Summit in Australia.